13 November 2008

America, Ewe Could Do Better

Yesterday, I walked past what in America could pass for a “strike,” but was really just four people banging out their grievances in a funky rhythm on the bottoms of plastic buckets. As Nob Hill building attendants, they were protesting their working conditions (longer hours without getting more pay – hey, sounds a lot like the dotcom world). I was hauling three heavy grocery bags and had no free hands, yet the protesters insisted on slipping me a flier (I had to practically grab it with my chin). I felt sad for them and their J.V. display. Have I become a manif snob since living in France, the Promised Land of Protests?

I mean, just recently there was a farmers’ demonstration in Paris over falling incomes due to the global economic crisis (who isn’t hurting these days?), and it culminated in a herd of sheep getting trotted out under the Eiffel Tower. (Credit goes to my friend E-rock for alerting me to the fabulous photo pictured at left.) WOW! Now that’s a protest! Nothing says beleaguered workers filled with self-righteous indignation like a bunch of slack-eyed sheep. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. And here I thought America was the country with all the bells and whistles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In comparison, our protest is pathetically sheepish!

Seriously, I think the last golden ear of creative American protest was the 60's where Sol Alinsky and his followers were in the vaguard. Interestingly, Hillary Clinton's Wesleyn thesis was on Alinsky.

DannySteinmetz