19 October 2008

Little Differences Ain't So Little

It is wild and wonderful to be back in the States, for at least the following few phenomena we have experienced over the past 24 hours – things that just don’t really occur in France, not ever:

1. Around the clock convenience! We managed to discover a 24-hour grocery store and a café that opens at 5am on a Sunday, the latter of which was perfect for our early-rising, jet-lagged souls (although we rolled in for our lattes at a leisurely 6:30am).

2. Amazingly friendly repartee with random people, exemplified by the woman checking us out at the supermarket who, after making small talk and learning about our current status, warmly exclaimed, “Well, I am so happy for you that you’ve moved back to San Francisco!”

3. Spicy means spicy! We ate at a tacqueria last night. Our mouths burned throughout the meal and we loved every second of it.

Woohoo, America! Aside from the above, being here generally makes us so.freaking.happy. We are home.

I’ll write more when I’m semi-recovered from the jetlag. For now, my brain is rapidly being reduced to a bowl of oatmeal.

2 comments:

commis chef said...

I hear you!

I've been enjoying your blog for a while now, and I just have to say I couldn't agree more with two things in this post. First, my surprise at Frances clearly excessive yoghurt habit. And second, the frustrating level of service in France. (And this is coming from an English person). I've come to learn that it's really just a part of the French way of life. As much as it annoys me on occasion, if it was different I think it would come at a price. Perhaps the pace of life would become faster? A job is just a job in France - they work to live, and I've got a lot of respect for that.

It doesn't make it any less frustrating though. Just yesterday, I found myself in a Marche Plus. I just needed to quickly grab an item on my way home from work. I arrived at the till, but the cashier wasn't there - she was gossiping with one of her colleagues near by. She saw me coming, but chose to ignore me for about 30 seconds or so. I know its only 30 seconds but it feels like 5 minutes, and the whole time your thinking, 'Jesus, can you just come and get this over and done with and then you can go back to your chat, PLEASE?' When she did finally come over, I gave her my money - I'd had time to count it out in small change. She started to count it, but then half way through, stopped and swiveled round in her chair to continue her chat. Only when she'd finished, did she count the money and hand me my receipt. Once upon a time I would have been like WTF, but now I somehow manage to contain myself and just accept, c'est comme ca!

commis chef said...

Oops - I've just realised I've posted this on the wrong post - But I'm sure you've already figured that out...